STATUS: Exempt, Full-Time
LOCATION: 417 Main Street, Rockland, Maine
Summary: Rockland Main Street is a 501c3 nonprofit in its 10th year. The organization is ready for the next phase of its identity and searching for a visionary leader.
Rockland Main Street is looking for an open-minded, flexible, self-motivated team player. The successful candidate will work closely with the Board of Directors and the Stakeholders to advance the mission of Rockland Main Street to create a focused partnership of residents, businesses, and local government that enhances and protects the unique sense of place and economic vitality of downtown Rockland, Maine.
Rockland Main Street is a nationally accredited downtown organization based on the principle of downtown revitalization through historic preservation.
• Demonstrated leadership skills & people, program or project management experience in either the public, nonprofit or
• Exceptional verbal & written communication skills; able to effectively convey the organization’s mission, priorities,
and programs to diverse audiences in a variety of formats; able to speak about the organization’s work in an
articulate, professional, and compelling manner (one-on-one and with groups)
• The ability to listen in communities and in partnerships to inform, develop, and implement responsive programming
and events or projects
• Proven success in building and leveraging connections and networks for specific results
• Organizational skills and attention to detail in planning and coordinating project/event work; ability to prioritize
• Experience in running effective meetings that meet clearly identified objectives
• The ability to give and receive constructive and helpful feedback with stakeholders, volunteers and community
• Proven ability to work with committees to accomplish goals
• Proficiency with technology, including office software and databases, social media, email newsletters, etc.
• Success in using marketing, public relations, news releases, social media, e-news and websites to create
interest and action
• Interest in and knowledge of volunteer recruitment and management
• Familiarity with relational database to organize and manage information
• Design aesthetic and skill in creating collateral with design programs
• Ability to fund raise from individuals and experience writing proposals to win grants
• Work with the Board and committees to develop and implement a concise strategic position with measurable
• Serve as the face of Rockland Main Street to build positive stakeholder relationships and collaborative partnerships
Fund raise through appeals, individual asks, sponsorship drives, grants and more to ensure the financial stability and
growth of the organization
• Ensure efficient and effective daily operation of the organization. The ED is responsible for a wide array of activities
ranging from developing and maintaining budgets, records, and communications to ensuring a neat and clean office
• Promote the vitality of Rockland’s downtown and build a sense of community through collaborative projects with the
City, the Chamber of Commerce, building owners, business owners and residents. Examples currently include ribbon
cuttings for new businesses, assistance in sharing information about downtown vacancies with interested parties,
event creation and promotion to attract residents and visitors to downtown
• Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties, of this job, the position requires sitting, entering data using computer keyboard and mouse, standing, walking, and moving about the office space as well as between building floors. Occasional lifting of 40-50 lbs may be required. There will be times when working long hours on evenings and weekends will be required.
Travel: Must be comfortable traveling locally with occasional out of the area overnight travel.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
The Executive Director position is a full-time, year-round salaried position, starting in mid-January 2020, with a salary of low to mid $40,000 range. Rockland Main Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.
There is no application deadline, but preference will be given to candidates whose materials are received by October 15, 2019. Only electronic applications are accepted.
In lieu of a cover letter, please include your response to the following questions along with your resume:
• What do you see as the biggest strengths of Rockland’s downtown, and its biggest opportunities?
• Please provide an example of how you have used social media and/or online marketing to
successfully generate interest and motivate action.
Please submit a resume/CV and your concise answers to the following screening questions to Jake Miller, Board President at email@example.com.